World War 2 Memorials
World War Two memorial stone and ash tree
To co-incide with Armistice Day 2004 the committee of the Essex Police Memorial Trust, under the chairmanship of Deputy Chief Constable Charles Clark introduced a new feature into the Memorial Garden at Essex Police Headquarters.
Two marble stones, backed by English Ash trees were installed on either side of the main Portland Stone memorial and flagstaff, which provides a place for relatives of 62 officers fallen during the World Wars to place their tributes in tranquil settings.
One is for the policemen of the three police forces (Essex Constabulary, Colchester Borough Police and the Southend on Sea Constabulary) who were killed whilst in the armed services during the Great War. The other is for those of those same forces who were killed whilst serving as policemen or in the armed services during World War 2.
Essex County Constabulary
Essex County Constabulary World War Two memorial plaque
The names of twenty-six members of the Force (plus one member of the Colchester Borough Constabulary) who laid down their lives during the War are listed on a bronze memorial plaque at Headquarters reception.
The memorial which was unveiled in 1946 was sited within the Shire Hall at Chelmsford until 1994. Those commemorated were the subject of an impressive memorial service at Chelmsford Cathedral on 19th May 1946. The service was attended by the Lord Lieutenant, his deputies, members of the Standing Joint (Police) Committee, the relatives of the men who lost their lives and about four hundred police officers.
In March 1952, following a suggestion by Police Constable R Hurst of the Road Safety Department, 28 flowering almond and cherry trees were planted on the Headquarters sports field as an 'Avenue of Remembrance'. The site of the Avenue has been partially covered by the Force Information Room and Police Garages and Workshops, though some trees do remain. The memorial plaque was re-erected within the Reception Area of Headquarters in the Summer of 2000.
Southend Borough Constabulary
Southend Borough Constabulary World War Two memorial
The war memorial, containing the names of six officers is located at Southend Police Station in Victoria Avenue. It was unveiled in 1946 by Chief Constable A J Hunt.
Colchester Borough Constabulary
Colchester Borough Constabulary World War One and Two memorial plaque
The war memorial, containing the names of two officers from the First World War (Frank Brace, Frederick Redhouse) and one officer from the Second is located at Colchester Police Station in Southway. It consists of a bronze plaque on American oak and was unveiled on 10th November 1995 by Assistant Chief Constable James Conlan, of Essex Police, the then Chairman of the Trust.